Friday, October 4, 2013

The Orphan Dog

The dog I found standing in the yard was a hungry-looking mongrel.  He was put together like a puzzle of many different breeds. He might have been lost or maybe abandoned. I knew he had belonged to someone because he knew how to behave properly. This dog had manners and someone had taught them to him. All of the sudden, when I was groping in the cupboard for some bread, I thought I saw a movement. Sure enough he had started trotting down the road. He was deaf to my pleas that he return. It was as if he had a destination set in his mind. That was the last that I've seen of this poor orphan dog. 

Vocabulary

mongrel: animal of mixed breed
abandoned: having been deserted or cast off
behave: act or conduct oneself in a specified way, esp. toward others.
groping: feeling about with the hands
pleas: requests or appeals
destination: place to which someone or something is going or is being sent

Vocabulary Activity

Fill the word into the proper blank that completes the sentence.
1. We must __________ in order to receive extra points at the end of the day. 
2. This place seems __________ because there is no one here.
3. I will answer your _________ in one moment.
4. Which __________ trip are you planning now?
5. When I am awakened in the night, I can't see the time without_________ for my glasses.
6. For a small rescue _______ , it is a real rags to riches story.

Grammar Point: 
Subject/Verb Agreement

The basic rule states that a singular subject takes a singular verb, while a plural subject takes a plural verb.
Example:

talks, talk

Which one is the singular form?
Which word would you use with he?
We say, "He talks." Therefore, talks is singular.
We say, "They talk." Therefore, talk is plural.

Grammar Activity:

Subject-Verb Agreement: Circle the word that best fits the sentence.

She (go/goes) to the store everyday to buy fresh fruit.

Everyone (know/knows) how to dance the cha-cha.

My mother and I (go/went) there last week.

(Is/Are)my boss or my sisters in the union going to win this time?

(She/He) loves his new toy.

 Everyone selected to serve on this jury (have/has) to be willing to give up a lot of time.


2 comments:

  1. I have always wanted a dog. In the future I plan on adopting one. The puppy in the picture is cute!

    ReplyDelete